Physical Damage Coverage

Physical Damage insurance can be purchased in addition to liability insurance. "Full coverage" is the term used to describe a personal auto policy that includes both physical damage coverage and liability coverage.


There are two main types of physical damage coverage available in an insurance policy:

  • Comprehensive car insurance
    (sometimes referred to as Other Than Collision)
  • Collision insurance

Both of the above are intended to cover any damage to YOUR vehicle. It's important to recognize which of these types of coverage you have in your policy to better understand your coverage.


"Comprehensive Car Insurance:" Jenny's car is stolen from the driveway of her home. The insurance company will pay for Jenny's car to be replaced as a result of having comprehensive coverage in her insurance policy. In this example, the car was not damaged by way of a collision (running into an object, or rolling over as a result of loss of control while driving), so collision coverage alone wouldn't be sufficient to replace Jenny's car.


Comprehensive or "Other-than-collision coverage" also covers the following:

  • Fire
  • Theft
  • Riot
  • Hail, water, or flooding
  • Explosion (including earthquake)
  • Vandalism
  • Windstorm
  • Damage resulting from an animal
  • Breakage of glass
  • Missiles or falling objects
    (not missiles in the military sense, those are specifically excluded under "acts of war")

"Collision Insurance:" Jenny has collision insurance on her new car. If Jenny backs her car into a cement pole in a gas station parking lot, her collision coverage will pay for the damager to her vehicle because her accident falls under the definition of "collision" in her insurance policy.


Please call us or click for a physical damage insurance coverage review for your auto.

Did you know? You can get coverage even if you have experienced losses